Deutsche Grammophon started life in 1890 as the German branch of the Berliner Gramophone Company. It was based in Hanover. In 1941 it was purchased by the Siemens electronics corporation, which joined up with Philips in 1962 to form the DGG/PPI record group. A giant in the field of Classical music, Deutsche Grammophon flourished as part of the Polydor family far beyond the period covered by this site and is still going today. In the 1950s and early '60s it issued a good number of EPs, some of which were pressed in Germany but given sleeves with notes in English and credit for manufacture and distribution given to the British arm of Deutsche Grammophon. Such British pressings have solid centres, while the German ones have large spindle holes. The monochrome version, which is from 1974, also appears to have been pressed in Germany but was issued here. By the time the '70s rolled around, the market for Classical music had become almost entirely album based; the company therefore concentrated on the 12" format, and released very little in 7" form. Manufacture and distribution in the 1950s were by Heliodor, which became Deutsche Grammophon (Great Britain) Ltd in September 1958. Thanks to Robert Lyons For The Info.
And San Francisco Symphony Orchestra
Blues Band, Opus 50,
Elizabeth Harwood And The
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra